We always hear "an apple a day keeps the doctor away". But when I went to the market's fruit section apple is not the fruit most people buy. People say because of the hot and humid weather here in Philippines, nothing can beat a cold , sweet and juicy slice of watermelon . It's healthy and refreshing!
Recent studies showed the wonderful health benefits of the watermelon, they are:
1. Natural energy drink - watermelon is a rich source of B vitamins, electrolytes and potassium. The B vitamins are needed for energy production and potassium is essential for heart and muscle contraction.
2. Good for the eyes - watermelon has vitamin A and C that are beneficial for our eyes. Yellow Watermelon is good source of lutein which helps prevent age-related macular degeneration.
3. May help prevent cancer and slow down aging - red water melon contains the pigment lycopene which may help prevent prostate cancer.
4. Prevents heat stroke and heat exhaustion - watermelon's cooling effect comes from it's component citrilline which is converted to arginine in the body. Arginine can help remove ammonia from the body ( bad stuff in the uring).
5. Treatment for heat rash and burns - watermelon pulp can be used to treat heat rash and burns. Place a piece of watermelon rind in the refrigerator and after a few hours apply the inner part of the rind on the affected areas on body. The cooling effect of watermelon rind relieves the heat rash.
6. Good for the kidneys, bladder, and those with gout - watermelon is effective for cleansing the kidneys and bladder. Watermelon does not contain uric acid and can help people with gout by reducing the amount of uric acid in the body.